I made granola today. It's wonderful!! I'm not actually all that fond of granola; mostly I made it because I thought it sounded fun to make. But then I snitched and oh!! It's deLICious. I'll give you the recipe, but if you try it, you must PROMISE to use the exact ingredients here - each one is very important to the deliciousness of this recipe. Give it a try - you will love it! Start by positioning the racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread 6 cups of rolled oats (not quick cooking) on a very large baking sheet.
Toast in the top third of the oven for 10 minutes.
Transfer to a very large bowl. Leave the oven on.
Next, mix 2/3 c. of maple syrup and 2/3 cup of canola oil in a saucepan set over medium heat.
(I used walnut oil which the recipe called for and I REALLY think adds to the taste, but I realize not everyone has walnut oil just sitting around in their fridge).
The moment the mixture starts to steam, take the pan off the heat.
Stir in 1 Tablespoon of vanilla, and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
While that mixture cools, stir all of the following into the oats:
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. salt
1/2 c. finely chopped walnut pieces (see... compliments the walnut oil nicely) ;)
1/2 c. powdered dry milk
Then stir in the mixture from your saucepan.
Spray two large baking sheets with non-stick spray.
Divide the oat mixture between the two baking sheets, spreading it to the corners.
Place the trays in the top and bottom thirds of the oven.
Bake for 5 minutes, stir, bake for 5 more.
Reverse the trays top to bottom and back to front, and continue cooking until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes, tossing and stirring once or twice.
Place the baking sheets on wire racks.
Stir 1/2 c. of raisins onto each tray.
Cool to room temperature on the tray without further disturbing them; about 1 1/2 hours.
Store in plastic containers. (it won't last long)

2 comments:
This sounds so good! My "recipe" is fairly plain. I use coconut oil and like the flavor that gives it. But I love the idea of the walnuts and walnut oil. Yum. I believe I'll make some. :-) And yes, I'll follow the recipe exactly so we can share the experience.
Love you!
M.
YUMMY!
I won't be able to make any right now...but I will someday and I promise to follow every letter of your recipe!
Love you!
Post a Comment