Thursday, March 6, 2008

From all that she had


I was reading in I Chronicles today.  I love those Old Testament stories.  It's so easy to get caught up in them, and hardly be able to put the book down.  Seems there's something amazing, or catchy at the turn of every page.  Today, I decided to read some in the New Testament as well. Randomly, I admit, I opened to Mark.  Not Mark 1 mind you either, but Mark 12; the chapter that ends with the widows mite.  I've read and heard this story many times before, but this time it hit me in a new way.  I cannot even explain how really.  It was almost as if I was surprised to see it there.  At the end of reading all about the defeat of armies and giants, of Jesus cleverly answering the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Scribes, there it is;  Jesus is sitting in front of the treasury observing the goings on there.  A multitude, it said, were putting large sums of money in, giving out of their surplus.  Then a poor widow comes along and puts in two copper coins - barely a cent.
Jesus says, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on."
This really blessed my heart as I read it this morning, and I have been mulling over it all morning.  However, it's not about money that it seems applicable to me this particular day, but what I can give out of my poverty... where am I most impoverished?  Today it seems the physical health and strength to meet the days demands.  Just a tummy ache here, some tiredness there, with a touch of a cold coming on as the cherry on top.  A nice day for curling up with a good book and getting a bit of rest. But I have committed myself to preparing a meal for a friend who is truly ill, and have an absolutely non-optional choir practice - the music for which I have not yet memorized.  I have responsibilities to fulfill for my family, some bills to pay, some calls to make.
If I could boast of accomplishing today's duties with the strength and fortitude of a perky, well and rested me, but did not do it with all my heart as unto the Lord, what would be the point?  If on the other hand, I face these tasks today, willing to give all that I have out of my impoverished state, then He is glorified and I am still nothing but the vessel, not a hero - as it should be.  Thanks be to God for allowing us, at times, to live in poverty.  Thanks be to Him for the riches of His grace.

2 comments:

Michal said...

Thank you for sharing this :) I needed that today! It makes everything so much more joyful if it's done for God, doesn't it? Now my packed schedule and tests coming up remind me I don't have to do them on my own strength. And really, they're not hard things, but I let myself get caught up in my own world and forget to look outside Hillsdale and college life. Thanks, Mamasita :) I love you!

Melissa said...

What a joy and blessing to come to this quiet and beautiful place and receive the very word I need to hear! It's a balm to my soul to remember that these offerings made from my impoverished state are unto Him, and can be offered with all of my heart. No worrying that I won't have enough to give. Thank you, so much, dear sister, for reminding me of this truth. I love you!