Sunday, August 3, 2008


I've been kind of stuck on a song lately that is new to me, and I'd love to share it with you.  Perhaps you've already had the pleasure of hearing it. Let, somehow, the brevity of it's message penetrate your heart as you read them here:



BRING THE RAIN by Mercy Me

I can count a million times
People asking me how I can praise you
With all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on You Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings you glory
And I know there'll be days 
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise you
Jesus bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because you are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me 
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray

Give me joy, give me peace
Give a chance to be free
Give me anything that brings you glory
And I know there'll be days 
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise you
Jesus bring the rain



I love this song.  I love the tune, I love the message, I love the surrendered heart it requires to sing it.  However, one cannot take lightly singing such words.  My heart resonates, "Oh yes, yes Lord" when they're singing so beautifully, "give me ANYTHING that brings you glory".  For it truly is the cry of my heart to achieve that kind of holiness, surrender, submission, emptiness, such a God-honoring life.  But the truth be told, I want to name the rain.  You know what I'm saying?  I want to say this, but not that; that struggle over there, but not the other one.  And by the way, especially not that one right there that really stings me deeply, or the one that makes me just plain mad.  I don't know exactly which ones I have in mind exactly, Lord, but I'm sure you can think of some rainy things that don't have to involve people I love,  and, well, frankly just this little list right here.  Can you relate at all?!  These thoughts swimming around in my head have made it nearly impossible to listen to the song now!  I'm nearly afraid to for fear the Lord is really going to have it out with me in the middle of it one of these days.  Ha!  No, I know it doesn't really work that way.  Clearly His spirit is already having His way with me, and I pray that He will with you too as you meditate on these words and think about what it means to be willing to do ANYTHING for the sake of His glory.  Amen. 

No comments: